Built in 1879, the Byrd School was originally located seven miles south of Pilot Rock, Oregon on land that was donated by Maria Byrd. In the early days of its operation, it was a tuition school that typically operated for three months, or as long as a family could afford the expense of sending their child(ren) to school. Students either walked or rode horses to attend class and in periods of deep snow, fathers would often hitch up the horses to a wagon with sleigh runners and transport the children to their classes. By 1940, it was determined that busing the students to Pilot Rock was more economical than keeping the school open and the school was closed. The building was then used for grain storage for several years.
In 1990, the building was moved to the grounds of the Heritage Station Museum by volunteers. It was been restored to look as it would have 100 years ago.
Until the next adventure….